Wednesday 7 September 2011

ACTIVITY//Street Art Techniques ...Stencil Art

Blek le Rat/Original Stencil Pioneer


'1981 to 1983 the beginning of the stencil graffiti art .I had the idea to use stencils to make graffiti for one reason. I did not want to imitate the American graffiti that I had seen in NYC in 1971 during a journey I had done over there.I wanted to have my own style in the street... I began to spray some small rats in the streets of Paris because rats are the only wild living animals in cities and only rats will survive when the human race will have disappeared and died out.'



1983 the fisrt large figure in the life size I have make in the sreet. This is an old Irish man yelling against English soldiers in Belfast in the seventie's.The man is very brave because the soldie couleur rs are very nervous trying to shoot with their guns some guys from the IRA.The photo was incredible strong.I always been fascinated by the people at the risk of one's life do not hesitate to say what they think. I still use this image in this time and it is the image I have done the most in a lot of different countries.The man took many different aspect to the people sometimes he is an old man , sometimes people think he is Buster Keaton or Chaplin or a tramp or an anarchist.I like when my images take different aspect by the place where they are pasted.


1984 During the summer 1984 I make stencil graffiti of this Russian soldier in Paris I put hundred of them in different places of the city.


2001 The fawn in Volubilis Maroc/photos Sybille Metze Prou


2003 No more war in the world








How he does it...






Blek's Manifesto of Stencilism...



There are definite similarities between the work of both Blek and Banksy, however they both seem to produce work in relation to current affairs at the present time.

No comments:

Post a Comment